- Sorry To Bother You (Boots Riley)
- King Cobra (Justin Kelly)
- Call Me By Your Name (Luca Guadagnino)
- 4th Man Out (Andrew Nackman)
- God’s Own Country (Francis Lee)
- Henry Gamble’s Birthday Party (Stephen Cone)
- The Palm Beach Story (Preston Sturges)
- Handsome Devil (John Butler)
- American Pastoral (Ewan Mcgregor)
- Beauty and the Beast (Jean Cocteau)
1- Sorry To Bother You remained great fun through the end, but I felt that it skidded off the rails about two-thirds of the way through and the film and I parted company at that point. Centaurs? Really? It’s been quite a common thing to compare this movie to the wonderfully brilliant Get Out. The comparison does not serve either film. Still, it was fun….if a little tedious by the end.
2 – For my thoughts on 4th Man Out, Henry Gamble’s Birthday Party and Handsome Devil please see my recent post
3- God’s Own Country has been called the British Brokeback Mountain. Why would anyone so insult a brilliant work like this movie? It is so powerful, so masterfully written and shot. so adult, so life-affirming. I loved it. I wonder if there are any free Gay Romanian shepherd out there looking for someone like me?
4- I love movies and I love novels. At one time I was happy to see adaptations of books I liked. That might have come to an end with American Pastoral. This is a perfect (almost) rendition of the plot of Philip Roth’s masterpiece. That is not enough. We don’t need a Classics Illustrated version of Roth. The scale of the book and it’s insights and emotions are gone. All that is left is story. I felt sorry for the actors who were trying so hard. Instead of seeing this film, read the book. If you have already, read it again